Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Suit Boy meets Stat Boy (Homecoming part I)

This past Saturday the worlds aligned to bring us Homecoming at Fordham along with Jim Magee's (guitarist from two posts ago) birthday. Jim definitely lived up to my expectations and put forth yet another beautiful performance. I left Saturday to go up to Homecoming and on the way I picked up Brian who informed me that Jim and others would also be joining us on our trip. I'm not going to get into the back story, but Jim happened to be wearing a suit with a relaxed no tie look. Even though I'm not sure how many days in a row he had been wearing this suit, I'd have to say that it was probably the nicest dressed he'd ever been on his birthday. So fast forward a couple of hours and we're sitting in the nicely set-up food and drink tent in the parking lot during the football game that no one cares about, when Jim's eyes come across what only could've have seemed like 9 Stat Boys. Jim got up and decided to approach the middle one and make a fool out of himself.

For those who don't know Stat Boy, his real name is Tony Reali and is a member of the class of 2000. Since his graduation, he's gone on to star in ESPN's 5:00 pm time slot as the host of Around the Horn hitting the mute button on loud mouth journalists from around the country, and as the mistake correcting Stat Boy on Pardon The Interruption. Since he's probably the biggest recent Fordham celebrity, poor Stat Boy most likely had to deal with a bunch of drunken people coming up to him and yelling "HEY STAT BOY!!!" in his face all day, but he probably got the biggest kick out of the following conversation he had with Jim.

Jim (to Stat Boy): Hey, it's Stat Boy!
Stat Boy: Yeah.
Jim: It's my birthday Stat Boy.
SB: Nice.
Jim: It's Stat Boy!
SB: I saw you dancing earlier. You really shouldn't be dancing.
Jim: It's my birthday.
SB: Just don't dance.
Jim: It's Stat Boy!
SB: (silence)
Jim: It's Stat Boy!
SB: Nice suit.
Jim: It's my birthday Stat Boy.
Me (to stat boy): Hit the mute button.
SB (laughing): OK, I gotta go. Bye.
Jim: It's Stat Boy!
Jim sits down.
Me: Way to go Jim.
Jim: I don't remember dancing.

Stay tuned for Part II and III of Homecoming over the next couple of days. I would leave you with a picture of Stat Boy on the set of Around the Horn with his multiple mute buttons, but it's too big and messin up the rest of my page so here's a smaller one:

/>

RANDOM THOUGHT: I'd probably be better accepted by the cat community if I stopped throwing candy corn at them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home