Tuesday, November 30, 2004

With Sexy Results

So I got to thinking about certain driving issues I have yesterday on my way back to drop Baby Lentini off at her house after an extended Thanksgiving visit (new Baby Files sometime this week). Ever since I started driving in January of 1998 I've noticed many tendencies of other drivers that I come across on the road. For instance, drivers behind you don't like it when you put on the right turning signal and then turn left, though they do like to give you the finger afterwards. But enough about me. In my neighborhood, there are a lot of two way streets that can only fit one car going in one direction at a time, so if you're ever going up a street while someone is coming towards you, one of the two drivers has to pull over ("no, thanks, it's a cardigan") into an empty space on the side of the road. In all of the cases where I am the one who gets to keep driving, I always like to give the other car a "thank you" wave/double point/tip of my hat (whether wearing a hat or not) to let the other driver know that I appreciate what he/she has done for me. [Right here it should be noted that the following thoughts on the thank you wave don't just apply to this specific situation, but all situations where another driver lets you go ahead and do something on the road.] I always feel good when I acknowledge the other driver's kindness because we know that it all evens out in the end when it comes to giving the go ahead to others. It's a certain bond that all drivers share. Shortly after I give the wave though and am feeling good, things normally seem to change because the other drivers rarely give me a head nod or wave back, at least a certain tyoe of them. That's right, I'm talking about white people. Sure there are some nice ones out there, but in my driving experiences, if the other driver is white, and isn't me, they rarely acknowledge your thanks or give you thanks if it's the other way around. On the other hand, in almost every one of my experiences with drivers who aren't white (which includes every non-white driver on earth, regardless of sex) I have recieved either the "your welcome" head nod, or the "thank you" wave. Now I'm not going to sit here and get all scientific as to why this always is the case, and will instead jump to a racist conclusion: white people are a bunch of uptight **insert your own insulting word here**. White people always seem to be in a hurry whether they're late for work, or just driving home from Banana Republic. I'm sick of this. As someone who is white, I am ashamed of the rest of you. Give the proper response to me/the other driver all the time, no exceptions. You don't really have to mean it, you know. When you are heading in the opposite direction you can hold up your crossed fingers and yell whatever you want. At least humor me with a wave or a nod. I mean, come on.

My second and final thought on driving that I will discuss today is an innovation for every car in existence, as well as every future car. Everytime I drive, and the distance doesn't matter, I always put in one of my CDs cause the radio sucks everywhere (though it's better in Philadelphia than other places). Much like the people who can be seen in VH1's new show, Motormouth, I like to sing along and react to the songs in my on way. The problem is not that I'm embarassed when other people see me (cause I'm not . . . well maybe just a little); the problem is that when they see me singing, as I do when I see others singing in the car, they try to think to themselves as to what I'm singing (after they're done pointing and laughing of course). This is a problem for me because people think I'm listening to some band like New Found Glory or Hoobastank, when in reality I'm rocking out to Sam Roberts or Ben Kweller. If someone's going to catch me siging, I want them to know exactly what I'm listening to. So here's my proposal: every vehicle (except motorcycles) on the road should have a screen above the windshield (like public buses) that displays what is being played in the vehicle whether it's music from the radio (AM, FM, satelite), music from a CD, talk radio, or nothing at all. Just stop for a second and imagine how awesome this would be if it ever happened. All of our guessing and judging will come to an end, plus you might think of a song that you forgot about, or be introduced to a new band (if the windows are down), or make fun of someone later to friends after you came across someone dancing to an LFO or Ace of Base song. Who knows, maybe you'll come across another car who is listening to the same obsuce thing you're listening to and you'll pull over and become friends, or maybe even more than friends. Everything begins and ends with music. This needs to happen. I'll get my design team working on this as soon as possible.

BK looking lost:



Canada's finest, The Sam Roberts Band:



SMUSH PARKER WATCH:



11/26/04 vs. Miami: In 14 minutes Smush scored 5 points and had 2 rebounds. Iwatched some of this game on ESPN and his 5 points came from a shockingly forceful fastbreak dunk and a nice three pointer from the corner. Detroit beat Shaq and the Heat 78-77.

11/27/04 @ Milwaukee: In 8 minutes Smush had 2 points, 1 rebound, and 1 assist. Detroit lost 96-90.

In other Smush Parker news, he got a brief mention in The Sports Guy's (writing hero of mine) latest article on his website on espn.com's Page 2. Here's the link to the article, and the Smush blurb:

[On the latest episode of Desperate Housewives] And it's not a terrible show, unlike the last few seasons of "Sex and the City" -- although I wonder how it will have a shelf life of more than 20 episodes. One thing bothers me about last Sunday's show, though: You can't promote the death of one of the housewives, then have it end up being the nosy next-door neighbor who isn't even in the opening credits. That's like ESPN promoting an upcoming "SportsCenter" by saying, "Which Pistons star blew out his knee tonight?" and it ends up being Smush Parker. Gimme a break.

Smush Parker, welcome to the Big Show (at least in my mind anyway).

THE LOST SENTENCE (from Passion and Patience)

Every now and then, I think of something I forgot to put into a post of mine that I was either planning on putting in but forgot for some reason, chose to leave out, or didn't think about til a couple of days later. So, in order to put these extra thoughts out there I will do so in future posts because it's my site and I can do whatever I want.

The motto for this year's awful, but slowly improving team is "Passion and Patience" which I think is the first time that those two words have ever been put together. *****Two more words that have probably never been used together (that is, until now) are "fart" and "crowbar".***** Even though this season will be a test for even the most diehard fan . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home