Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Bring Back Picture Wristbands NOW!

Over the last couple of days I was talking to some people I know about the greatest trend to ever hit Major League Baseball - personalized player picture wristbands. I remember seeing these wristbands on certain payers like Barry Bonds, Eric Davis, Darryl Strawberry, Eddie Murray, and the late great Pedro Guerrero. I was amazed that these players were actually wearing pictures of themselves on their person. In fact, if I could only own one piece of baseball memorabilia it would be a Pedro Guerrero picture wristband which I would then wear everywhere I went, including weddings, funerals, and Chili Con Carnivals. However, in these conversations I was the only one who remembered this exciting fashion statement of the late 80s and early 90s, which scared me nearly to death. Questions started swarming through my brain. Was this all some dream I had? Did these wristbands ever exist? Doesn't the new Pope look kinda evil? If this was a dream then what is wrong with me? Thankfully, we humans have the internet to find out if things we might've dreamed are true or not. After minutes of searching, I was able to come up with these pictures (some of which might be links cause they're huge) to prove my sanity. Enjoy!

Eddie Murray:



Darryl Strawberry:



Eric Davis and Darryl Strawberry (covered up, but you can bet they're there)

Pedro Guerrero (warning this is the best I could find - look in the middle and bottom right baseball cards):



and finally, The King of Picture Wristbands, Barry Bonds.

Pre-Juice Pirates version:



Pre-Juice Giants version:



Juiced Giants version:



So, as you can see, these examples prove that I am not crazy and didn't dream these up. The fact that I cared enough to prove that I wasn't crazy and then post the evidence on the internet might show that I actually am crazy, but at least it's not for the reason that I feared initially. If certain current day MLB players (I'm looking at you Carlos Delgado, Cliff Floyd, Preston Wilson, Gary Sheffield, and possibly Ichiro) brought these wristbands back, it might do baseball some good by shifting the focus from steroids to awesome picture wristbands. At least one person on each team should have to wear these and everything will be OK again. Wouldn't this be right up Sammy Sosa's alley? I think so. Bring the wristbands back! Someone needs to start an online petition, but not me cause I already did my part by helping those who forgot to remember, and by informing others who had no idea they ever existed. Feel free to use my name and link this entry for those who want to learn more. We CAN make a difference! Too bad nobody reads this site anymore. Oh well.

On the flipside, and awful baseball/sports trend will forever be shoving itself down my throat whenever I watch television or movies. Why do writers/directors/wardrobe people think people always play sports in jeans? Whenever someone is playing baseball, football, or basketball in a TV show or movie they are always wearing jeans. Every single time! Occaisonally you see people playing basketball in shorts (like in last night's instant classic episode of The Office), but most of the time they're in tight jeans. I don't know about you, but I've never known anyone who plays sports in jeans. The only time that ever happens in real life is when you get someone to play with you who wasn't expecting to play any sport and didn't bring a change of clothes so he plays in jeans by default. This misconception needs to stop. Jeans may be comfortable but they are not meant for baseball practice or pickup football games. So, just in case you lost track, here's where I stand:

1.) Bring back the awesome personalized picture wristbands to Major League Baseball.

2.) TV and Movie producers/whoever-is-in-charge, please stop having your actors play sports in jeans cause that never happens.

Well, this all feels so much better now that it's in writing. Thank you for your time.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: The most horrifying post of my lifetime will be tomorrow's entry so please come back to check it out. I'd post it right now but it would take away from what I wrote above. Believe me, YOU WILL WANT TO SEE THIS. If you like seeing examples of me being scarred for life than you won't want to miss this, though ideally, I would.

4 Comments:

At 4:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those picture wristbands were a 'Say No To Drugs' campaign used in conjunction with MLB.

 
At 1:48 AM , Anonymous weight loss pills said...

Keep up the good work.

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger MrFrozenRope said...

I have a pair of Eddie Murray game used SAY NO TO DRUGS wristbands if anyone is interested. Contact Robbie Jr at Robbies First Base in Baltimore Maryland 410.560.3200

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mimsbandz here. Thanks for the support......they are back!!!! Old school and new school. Web page will be up and running soon MIMSBANDZ.COM....MIMSBANDZ @GMAIL.COM

James

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home