Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What's up, Kyle?

I originally had a pretty big post planned for today, that I've been writing in my head for a couple of weeks now. Basically it was just going to be me talking about a bunch of random things that are going on in the world and they were just gonna be a bunch of short blurbs. I've been waiting for today to come along so I could write them all down for three (no more, no less) reasons.

Reason The First - I don't know how much longer I can go on keeping these thoughts in my head without forgetting them so I wanted to get them down as soon as possible.

Reason The Second - The last time I posted (last Tuesday) my team, The Fred Carter All Stars, won the weekly trivia challenge at the Lucky Dog Saloon (or The Dogg), so I was hoping that by posting again today our luck would hold steady and we'd win again tonight.

Reason The Third - Today is one of those special Tuesdays where at least three things that I want to buy are released. I call a day like this Perfect Storm Tuesday, and today was one of the best ones in recent memory with the release of Josh Rouse's Subtitulo, South Park Season 7 on DVD, and the long awaited PS2 game, The Godfather.

So, I went to my local music store and picked up the Josh Rouse cd, and I began my drive up to Best Buy while trying to remember all the things I wanted to write down when I got home. Since I knew what I wanted, and I knew that they would be in stock, this was going to be a rare John-Duffy-in-and-out-trip to Best Buy, unlike the normal John-Duffy-I-can-never-decide-what-I-want-and-wind-up-staring-blankly-at
-DVDs-for-up-to-an-hour-and-leave-with-notihng-trip. This notion put me in an even better mood because with the soon to be completed Perfect Storm, plus the fact that we try to defend our trivia title tonight, plus the fact that I was finally going to post in just a short while I was feeling just like Monty Burns before he got shot. Then, while I was just about ready to walk into the store, something happened that was about to make all of these positives seem, well, a lot less positive but still pretty good.

I was almost at the automatic entrance doors of Best Buy, when who comes out of the exit doors but none other than Philadelphia 76ers forward, Kyle Korver. Now just so you know the history of my Best Buy, this is not the first celebrity that I have seen leaving the store while I was entering. In fact, this is the fifth time that it has happened to me, though with just two people. On two separate occasions I have seen Philadelphia Daily News columnist, Rich Hoffman, leaving the store, while I have also seen Philadelphia 76ers guard/forward, John Salmons, leaving also on two separate occasions. It's pretty weird to think that I've seen those two leaving the store twice each, to go along with the newest addition of Kyle Korver. My question is, why can't I ever see them when they are actually in the store?



Anyway, unlike Hoffman and Salmons, Kyle Korver is my favorite NBA player not named Allen Iverson or Smush Parker, so this encounter actually meant something to me because I've been a fan of his since he was a senior at Creighton, which was my senior year at Fordham (side note - when he was drafted by the Sixers I wanted to start a fan club called the Kyle Korver Klan, but I figured that it wouldn't go over that well so I scrapped that idea). It meant so much in fact that I instantly became retarded when I saw him, though I would make up for it just seconds later. Here's a breakdown of what happened:

1.) I see a tall, but normal looking white guy leaving Best Buy.
2.) This guy had a familiar face, and it feels like I know him because he was kind of dressed like I was (semi-winter jacket, shirt, pants, knit hat) and was my age.
3.) After what felt like an eternity, I realized that it was Kyle Korver.
4.) Once I realized this I gave quite possibly the creepiest smile in the history of humanity.
5.) Kyle Korver sees me staring at him with this smile and says, "what's up, man."
6.) I realize that I need to get rid of this smile and act cool, so I replied, "what's up, Kyle," while giving him the left handed gun point (reenacted here), and kept walking into the store like nothing just happened and like I've known him my entire life.
7.) I step foot in the store and start laughing, which lasted for about five minutes.
8.) Unfortunately, at this point I realized that I could've gotten my picture taken with him and then we could've talked about Jesuit basketball, and what he bought, and stuff like that which would lead to me being his BFF, or at least his personal assistant or something. It was definitely an, "I've made a huge mistake" moment.
9.) Right after that though I figured that maybe Korver thought I was a pretty cool guy for not bothering him and treating him like just a normal guy, which I'm actually happy with considering how far I came from the creepy smile to kind of cool guy in such a short period of time. You really had to see this smile, folks. Really.

So there it is. After that I went in and successfully purchased what I set out for, and the day became so much better. It was so good that it bumped my original post out of the way (if you couldn't tell already) because it just would've been too much writing on my part, and you all know how I feel about actually doing stuff. Look for that post tomorrow or Thursday, and if you have time, please visit TerrellOwens.com and listen to the rap song that comes on when the page loads (thanks to FART member Tom for that link).

Until then.

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home