Monday, October 18, 2004

I have to do this...

Ok, well I'm sorry to do this to you all again, but I have to talk about another TV movie. I find my whole recent obsession with these kinds of movies very odd because I can't even remember a non-HBO television movie since Merlin from the mid-90s, which to be honest, could've been a lot better in my book (my book sucks, don't read it). Anyway, I was watching some of the 4:00 Steelers game on CBS yesterday when I saw a commercial for a Rob Lowe movie that aired last night called Perfect Strangers. As you could imagine, I was furious upon learning this title. Aren't there any original title makers out there?! Why did they have to call it Perfect Strangers? WHY? You can't name a movie after a classic TV and then go on to make it nothing like the original show. I'm sick of this. If I'm gonna watch a movie called Perfect Strangers I better see Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous, or at least Harriet Winslow pre-Family Matters spinoff. Now it's true that I didn't watch the movie, but I didn't have to because I knew that these characters were nowhere to be seen. I also doubt that the music in the movie was better than the theme for the TV show, and I very highly doubt that the line, "and now we do that dance of joy!" was anwhere in the script. Not cool, Zeus, not cool.

The REAL Perfect Strangers:



This recent Perfect Strangers fiasco isn't the only of it's kind that we've seen lately. As you all know, the movie Taxi starring Jimmy Fallon and gasp Queen Latifah hit the real movie theaters within the last month. I'm sorry, but again, unless I see Latka, or Danny Devito, or Christopher Llyod, then I want nothing to do with this garbage. Do you mean to tell me that the brilliant writers of this sure to be instant classic Taxi, couldn't come up with a better name? How about, The Taxi Chronicles, or 2 Taxi 2 Furious, or Jimmy Fallon is Gay and Queen Latifah is Worshipped by Old White People for Some Strange Reason? Any of these would've been better titles. My God, even THE Taxi would've been better. Brian and I were talking about this the other day and he brought up a very interesting question - "in 15 or 20 years is there gonna be a movie called, Living Single?" The way we're going now with awful movie titles (not to mention the movies themselves) I wouldn't be surprised if we see this at all. I can also put a bet down that if there is a Living Single feature film in the future, it will be about a serial killer robot from Jupiter played by Marilu Henner.

Bittersweet News of the Day: Elliott Smith tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home