Monday, November 20, 2006

Sports Boos and Yays

Let me just recap the last 26 hours for the Philadelphia sports fan. More specifically, this Philadelphia sports fan.

Sunday approx. 2pm: Donovan McNabb tears his ACL thus ending the Eagles season and my fantasy football season. Awesome!



Sunday 3:00pm: FOXsports.com reports that the Cubs have all but signed Alfonso Soriano to a 30 year, 900 billion dollar contract, which means that the Phillies lost out on having him bat after and protect Ryan Howard in their lineup. This is just as bad if not worse (to me at least) than McNabb's injury. Now instead of trying to trade for Manny Ramirez, or sign Carlos Lee, Phillies GM Pat Gillick will look to sign one-year-semi-wonder Gary Matthews, Jr., or another 12 Wes Helmseseses. Yay!

Sunday 4:30pm: The Eagles wind up losing 31-13 at home to a rookie QB and I have to deal with the fact that I now have to watch Jeff Garcia (and his 9-step-drops followed by his happy feet scrambling and eventually rolling right to throw a pass out of bounds, or for one yard to Brian Westbrook) play football for the NEXT SIX WEEKS. Sports!



Sunday 4:35pm: I also learn that Brett Favre injured a nerve in his right elbow in his game which means that this will be all ESPN focuses on for the next week. Supa-cool!



Sunday 7:15pm: The Cowboys become the first team to beat the Colts this season. Even better news, the now high school equivalent Philadelphia Eagles play the Colts in Indianapolis on national television next Sunday night. Woohoo!

Monday 2:00am: Right before I go to bed I check my iPod after charging it because it ran out of batteries on my trip to New York this weekend I learn that when iPods run out of batteries you lose your shuffle, thus ending my great experiment at 1401 (Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?). Goodnight!

Monday 11:15pm: I learn that the NL MVP award will be announced today at 3:00, and I just know that Albert Pujols (of the worst team ever to win a championship in any sport on any level in the history of life) will win it instead of Ryan Howard. The Cardinal way!

Monday 3:07pm: I'm too scared to check to see if Howard won or not, and just when I'm about to I get a phone call and learn that RYAN HOWARD WON THE NATIONAL LEAGUE MVP!!! Forget yesterday! Forget everything! This makes up for it all! RYAN HOWARD!!! I love you, sports!



Monday 3:44pm: While writing this post (after dancing gleefully for up to 12 minutes), I realize that this is the happiest that Philadelphia sports will ever make me because I'm never going see a championship in my lifetime. I become immediately depressed, and have the sudden urge to listen to Cat Power (which I do). High five!

Monday 3:49pm: I remember hearing a commercial on the radio yesterday while listening to the Eagles game on the way home that told me to go to this site, and I do and I realize that there's nothing I can do but keep on doing what I'm doing. Please sign the petition. Life is good. I guess!



IN OTHER NEWS: After the Thanksgiving weekend, I plan to start posting regularly on Tuesdays/Wednesdays (either/or) and Fridays. Just so you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home