Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Better than David Blaines?

So last Friday  I went to my high school's (St. Joseph's Prep) championship American Football game vs. our rival school, LaSalle, which is just the worst. This was my first Prep football game in a few years because they dominate everyone they play and they win the championship pretty much every year. It just stopped being fun for me mainly because I'm not used to anything I'm associated with winning regularly so I only payed attention from afar. For some reason though I really wanted to go this year and even though the Prep lost (thanks to their QB costing them 5 TDs) I had the best time I can remember having at a HS football game since we won the championship my Junior year. Here's a video to help me explain why:



Recently Father William J. Byron, SJ, was named the new President at the Prep. I didn't know this until after I saw him in that very clip on Da Ali G Show, just one week before the championship game. President-Father Byron's appearance on Ali G was a big topic at my cousins house on Thanksgiving where we watched the clip a couple times. On the way to the game last Friday, myself, my brother, father and two uncles talked about it even more, and my one uncle, Uncle Paul (who was elsewhere the day before and didn't see the clip) kept hilariously referring to Ali G as "Borass" (foreshadowing? maybe...) and we all got a good laugh and thought nothing more of it.

Little did I know then that we'd wind up sitting one row behind Father Byron during the game. So, like most immature/giggle-happy twenty-five year-olds, I decided to shout, "Jesus...Christ," just like Father Byron did (which I think is the funniest part of the interview) every time the Prep did something bad, or something didn't go their way. As you could imagine, my brother and I got a lot of mileage out of this joke (and other random quotes from the interview) thanks to it getting funnier every time we said it just within his earshot. As you could also imagine, my father (lowercase "f") did not appreciate the fact that we kept doing it and he probably thought that laughing at a priest (which he did pretty much every time) would delay his entry into Heaven. Thankfully for us, the Prep sucked that night so there were many opportunities and he couldn't really get mad. It would've been wrong for us NOT to do it.

In case you're wondering, I think Father Byron heard us a few times, and I felt kind of bad about it, but not for too long because funny is funny (and yes, I realize this is probably only funny to five year-olds). What I didn't find out until the next day was that my Uncle Paul walked up to Father Byron and said this instant classic Jesuit priest ice-breaker:

"So I understand you're in a movie with that Borass guy"

Now that's funny to everyone. Respek.



COMING FRIDAY: Meet John Duffy's evil side.

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a current senior at the Prep and we make fun of Byron for it all the time. Even one of the other priests makes fun of him for it, to his face! During the first week of school we watched the clip in my spanish class. You'd be surprised how little it bothers him!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home